Ten Reasons You Read Your Favourite Genre
My fave genre is YA as a whole, really, but for this I'm narrowing it down to Contemporary YA. Here's my 10 reasons why I read contemporary YA!
- The stories are relatable. They're my here and now and are about things I know.
- The romance is often more developed than in fantasy, dystopia, etc. It's not so much insta-love, which irks me, and even better, there's rarely a love triangle too.
- They're full of hard-hitting and thought-provoking issues.
- I find them emotional. Even if they're not focused on some serious topic, as above, they often make me smile, laugh, cry, feel inspired and so on.
- They have complex characters. For me, the characters often make the book, and in contemporary YA character development is often the big thing. There's no major world development, for example, that also has to be the focus.
- They're standalone, more often than not. No waiting for the next book in a series! Yay!
- Which also means they're short, in a way. The end is in sight. I can read the whole story in one sitting. I enjoy whiling away a few hours reading contemporary YA.
- The many authors I've come to love. Many of the authors that are Must Buys for me write contemporary YA. Sarah Dessen, David Levithan, Morgan Matson, Huntley Fitzpatrick, Stephanie Perkins, to name a few.
- I grew up reading contemporary. The Babysitter's Club, the Sweet Valley series's. It's what I've always enjoyed reading.
- Simply, I just love contemporary YA.
There you go. 10 reasons I read my favourite genre. Easy. How about you? What is your favourite genre and why do you read it? Share your posts so I can visit and check out your answers. Thanks for following!