Top Ten Books I Will Probably Never Read
or, a couple I will probably never read & those I absolutely will never read
- Fifty Shades series by E.L. James - Never happening. Besides the fact that I'm not into BDSM, I read the first page and the writing and editing was enough to turn me off even further. Well written is a criteria for me.
- A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin - I tried years ago, before the TV show was even a twinkle in someone's eye but it just wasn't for me. I always get a completely shocked look when family and friends find out I don't read or watch this series. Supposedly there's something about me that screams 'should love it'.
- The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series by Stephen Donaldson - This is a fave series of a good friend of mine and she was certain I would love it, but no. I gave up when the MC raped a woman. I've been lectured about anti-heroes in his defense but nothing in me allows a rapist to be redeemed, so.
- Ender series by Orson Scott Card - I had planned to read this series but then heard about the author's homophobic views. I refuse to support such hatred.
- House of Night series by P.C. Cast - I hated the first book so much I could never continue this series. It was popular at the time so some people kept pushing me to read more, but I couldn't do it.
- Allegiant by Veronica Roth - I had to push myself to finish Divergent and then hated Insurgent. I don't think I'll be able to force myself to read Allegiant, especially as I've also been spoiled.
- The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare - I own every single one of these books, including those of The Infernal Devices series. I've always planned to read them but I'm beginning to admit to myself that I probably never will. I didn't love City of Bones and I've heard enough about these books to just not be all that interested anymore.
- Ballad by Maggie Stiefvater - I didn't love Lament and haven't been able to bring myself to read this one, despite my love of Maggie. Add in the third book remaining unpublished and I doubt I'll ever get to this.
- The rest of the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead - I was enjoying the series but got to it late. I worked for a few years in a high school library and unfortunately some excitable teenage girls completely spoiled this series for me from book 3 onwards. I still pushed through the third book but just haven't been able to garner the interest to finish now.
- Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi - This is definitely only a probably. I've only read Shatter Me and I loved it...but I'm not a Warner fan. And I've heard enough to know I might not be happy with how Mafi decided to end this series, and so it's been hard to find the will to finish this series finally.